Thursday, March 20, 2008

Personal Upgrade

Much is said about upgrading your computer, I-pod, or any other kind of equipment. This is what companies do with their advertising, that is, they create a "need" and try to make us purchase the upgrade or buy something new.

Truly, I am grateful for a new laptop that has been provided for me! What an upgrade!! I am thrilled and I am thankful. A sacrifice was made to provide this donation. I am excited!

At the same time, what about making a "personal upgrade"? Say what?

Well, I made a recent trip to the States for our board of directors meeting, a missions conference, two church meetings and did some planning with Lynne's family regarding the future [aging parents, mother-in-law has Alzheimer's . . . so sad!]. Fifteen day whirlwind trip highlighted [perhaps I should say "low lighted"] by a serious bout with a sinus cold and a horrible, deep cough!

When I returned home to Hungary I did not feel well. This went on for six days. Hey, what is going on here? This is more than jet lag. Time for a "personal upgrade"!

--I started my walking regime again although I did not feel like it at all. I walk between 2 and 3.5 miles a day. By the second day I felt better!! The last three days I picked up the tempo and I am walking faster which works my heart and lungs. This morning I felt like I was on a "high" and did not want to stop walking! It was invigorating.

--I read an article on the body becoming too acidic and that we should be slightly alkaline. I downloaded a food list that listed foods in both of these categories. Beef is acidic. Give me a break! Pork, cheese, yep, acidic. Groan! Alkaline--red beets . . . oh wow! I couldn't wait to run to the store to buy fresh red beets. Okay, I am becoming sarcastic. I started drinking three glasses of spring water with fresh squeezed lemon [pure water is better, but I cannot find it right now]. This cleanses the liver and the kidneys. I am now up to four glasses a day and will try to increase this number. I made some changes in what I am eating and I felt better in one day! No joke! One day!

--Would you believe 70 sit-ups a day? Well, 50 repetitions work the abdomen and 20 work the lower back. There is a connection you know. Yes, I started last Thursday and I am up to 70 right now. I am doing some other back exercises and I will add other exercises as I build up my strength. It really has helped!

--Power Time: This is the time when I read from the Bible and let it impact my life, my mind, my heart and my soul. I decided to do more with my Power Time. Also, I have a stack of books that I want to read, so, I marked the books with pencil to read 10 pages a day from one book to do a "personal upgrade" for my mind. I had been reading books, but, I made a definite list and an action plan to go through a certain group of books.

--Scouring for ideas: Some of my reading provided some tips from successful people who were sharing what they are doing on a daily basis. I made some notes. One writer reminded me about putting my thoughts into a journal. Ouch! I did that earlier and let it slide. OK, I have got to work on that area.

--Getting up early: I like to get up early. Recently, I started getting up earlier. I find it refreshing and I am getting more done.

There are a couple more things going on and I may write about them later. As I do this "Personal Upgrade" I find that I am doing more thinking as I evaluate myself. It seems that this is how to start the process. I have to be honest with myself, write down my evaluation and take action steps.

I love the upgrade!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home