Monday, January 28, 2008

Meeting in Biatorbagy

Yesterday was a special day! The Brethren Church in Biatorbagy has a special place in my heart and it is always a joy to go there. I first spoke there in March, 1990. I remember that day for several reasons, but, one really sticks out in my mind . . . there were hardly any cars on the road that Sunday morning! My wife and I live in Biatorbagy now and we can tell you that there are many, many cars here now! What a difference!

Some of the same people who were there in 1990 still attend at the present time. My translator was a boy back in 1990. Yesterday, he stood beside me to translate and I enjoyed serving together with him. In fact, he was saved under my ministry at the youth camp in Hungary! So were two others from his family, an older brother and his sister. Yes, it was a great joy to serve with Peter Csikos.

Peter wrote to me tonight that people gave testimony in the evening meeting [I spoke in the morning meeting] that the message was very good and very clear. Yes, I could have given the message in Hungarian, but, it probably was more understandable with Peter's translation. Sometimes I preach in Hungarian and sometimes I preach in English. It was very interesting to watch some of the young adults in the meeting who speak English to a certain extent. They would hear what I said in English and show a response that they understood with their smiles or nodding their heads in agreement. This seemed to make the ones who speak only Hungarian wanting the translation to be given very quickly so they could know what was being said. Therefore, the translation can work in my favor, so to speak.

Well, God used the message as I spoke from my heart on I Samuel 22:2 where David gathered a group of misfit soldiers and built them into mighty men of valor [I Chronicles 11:10]. God often uses failure to make us more useful. David was told by Samuel that he would become the next king, but David had to wait for a few years. Not easy! Not at all! Instead of letting this time of frustration and failure get to him he turned a group of 400 down and out soldiers into an elite group, one of the best armies ever! When he was finally installed as the king David had a loyal army around him. At that time, looking back on his days in the caves hiding from a jealous King Saul, it finally began to make sense. God was using many who had experienced failure to become more useful. We have to keep our perspective when we are in the difficult experiences in life when everything we do seems to end up in failure. God is at work in what we call "failure".

Failing does not make us failures! Rather, it is an experience and we learn from this. Then, God uses us in a greater way!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home