Friday, February 01, 2008

Oil Change: Lesson in Economics

Today I took our ministry van to get the oil changed. Jiffy Lube has not started a franchise in Budapest, Hungary, so the prices over here are substantially higher. Let me tell you, the price of oil is higher than the price of gasoline! [See my blog post on January 19, 2008]. Whew! I paid 23,000 forints for an oil change.

If 165 forints equals one dollar, then I paid $139.39!! Almost $140 for an oil change! Since it is synthetic oil it is goof for 10,000 kilometers or 6,250 miles. That makes me feel better! Well, not a whole lot.

By the way, some months ago the dollar was stronger with 200 forints equalling one dollar. That would make the oil change at that time ONLY $115.

I know that this is a blog, not a "rant". So, let me end with a report that the relationship that I am building with the car repair shop owner is developing quite well. He knows, to a certain extent, what I am doing in this section of the world. He does not have a relgious affiliation and was a bit gruff when I first started going to him three years ago and seem to be a closed person. But, this has changed and he is open for conversation. He smiles at me now and wants to learn some English. He checks my van carefully to make sure that it is running well. He is a good man. Furthermore, the three men who work in his shop are becoming more friendly with one of them being particularly interested in talking with me. So, God is at work and maybe there will be an opportunity for a serious conversation where I can help one or all of these men to start a personal relationship with God. If that would happen, I suppose that $140 would be well spent!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home