Saturday, July 12, 2008

Would you believe $8.90 a gallon?

Hard to believe, isn't it? That's what we are paying over here now. In Germany and in the UK it is more!

Approximately $4.00 per gallon goes to the Hungarian government in taxes.

The weak American dollar is wreaking havoc with our ministry budget. About 7 years ago, maybe 8, we received 310 forints per dollar. Today? 141 forints per dollar. We have lost 55% in buying power.

So, not only do we have to pay $8.90 per gallon, but we have less buying power. It takes many more dollars to pay, that is, to buy forints to pay for the fuel for our van. So, it takes slightly over $135 to fill up the tank.

Thought you might like to know.

OK, it's time to fill up the tank and drive 16 hours to Montenegro where I will direct Camp Monty 08. That will take about two tanks of fuel.

Let's see, that's $540 roundtrip . . . I am thankful for wonderful donors who make this possible.

Eric

1 Comments:

Blogger rabbimeg said...

Ouch! I thought $72 was bad...what my son paid to fill up his van. I think $66 is tops for me so far. Would you believe a motorcycle or bike?!?!?
km

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home