Monday, October 20, 2008

Political Unrest in Montenegro

There is some present political unrest in that Montenegro officially recognized Kosovo just as the United States did so earlier. That did not set well with Serbia [old Yugoslavia]. Not at all! There was a big demonstration in Podgorica the day before I arrived and 30 people were injured.

In fact, the US Embassy issued a warning for Americans to lay low for a few days because the Serbs are still angry with the Americans for recognizing Kosovo. Well, guess what I did Saturday night? I was on the pedestrian street, the "walking street" and I counted 28 policemen. I thought something was up. Sure enough, about 60 or so Serbs were gathered near the government offices. Do you know where I was? Right in the middle of them!

For the period of time that I was there it seemed like a gab fest. Old friends were greeting each other and there was laughter with stories being told. Some young boys were blowing on whistles which seemed quite rude, but, not one paid attention to them. I stood there for a while observing what the people were doing. I do not understand a word of the Serbian language, but, the facial expressions were good. Finally, I thought it might be prudent just to move on just in case someone started yelling about the political issues and someone would realize that I am an American.

That was interesting! Then again, this just might have been my last "protest". No need to go off the deep end!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home