Sunday, September 16, 2007

Montenegro: What is happening?

It's beautiful here right now in Montenegro. The weather is very nice and the mountains are majestic. The people have been very kind to us and we have enjoyed some great conversations.

Last night I spent a long time with a teenage basketball player and his father. The boy came to camp this summer toward the end of camp. It was an excellent conversation as I learn more about Montenegro and its people.

I met about 15 new teenage friends at the basketball court. They want to practice their English and those who don't know English desperately wait for translation from their friends as they want to keep up with the conversation. Next to me were 2 teens who came to Camp Monty and they willingly told the others about camp. The others quickly wanted to know if we are coming back next summer to have another camp. Yes! They cheered! It was a special moment!

Another thing happened only minutes earlier when I first came to the basketball court. Two guys around 25 or so saw me come onto the court and they kicked a soccer ball [this court is used for several different sports and usually more than one sport is going on at any given time] high in the air so it would land very close to me. Then, one of them gave a vulgar hand gesture. Two of our campers immediately ran over to them telling them who I am. I do not know what they said. But, the older guys acknowledged this information and said, "Sorry," waving sheepishly to me. What a change! That was interesting!

One difficulty here right now is a water ration. The water is on only twice a day for short periods of time. No showers for four days. Oh me! Well, one more day here and we start heading to Germany for Lynne's MS treatment. We will get a shower on the way . . . oh me!

Speaking in two churches today here in Montenegro. More about this later!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home