Monday, January 07, 2008

Potential in People

Years ago one of my mentors, Jack Wyrtzen, the founder of Word of Life, taught me a valuable lesson. We were traveling in my car in Florida from one meeting to Jack's next speaking engagement. Jack was telling me about someone when suddenly he looked at me and said, "Eric, accept a man for who he is and see him for what he can become."

Ding! I had learned to pay attention when Jack would share a principle. Ding! This was important! I got it! In fact, I heard him say it again a couple of years later. Ding! "It must be important or he would not have said it again," I thought.

So, what he taught me is this . . . accept a person for who he or she is right now . . . imperfect, immature, impatient like all the rest of us . . . then, "SEE" him or her for who they can become.

The first part is acceptance. This is so important because so many people yearn for acceptance. When I accept someone as they are it gives me a foundation for the next part. When I show a positive attitude toward someone it creates the potential for growth.

Secondly, I look for potential in people. I "see" or visualize what kind of person that they can become and what they can accomplish. When I do the second part I begin to take positive steps to encourage a person to become all that they can be. That is exciting!

I recall "visualizing" when a young man a number of years ago that I could foresee him becoming a great evangelist. He was stunned! He could hardly believe his ears. "Me? Are you serious?" he queried. You guessed it! He is doing that very thing today some 12 years later! Again, that is exciting!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home