Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In the Trenches: Church Planters

For the last six days I have stayed with two different couples who are church planters in Montenegro. One couple resides in the capital city, Podgorica, and I stayed with them for one night. The second couple lives in Niksic, the 2nd largest city in this country, and I stayed with them five nights.

Let me tell you, their work is hard! There have been several success stories. There have been some difficult experiences. This country boasts a population of 700,000 people mainly comprised of Montenegrins, Serbs, Muslims and a few other minorities such as Bosnians, for example. There are distinct differences with each group. The Muslims cluster together mainly in three cities. There is only a handful in Niksic.

Eastern Orthodoxy is the main religion for the Montenegrins and Serbs. They use the same Bible that I use. However, there are major differences beyond the fact that we use the same Bible.

People are people and they have needs. Families are struggling just to survive in that this is a very poor country. Apartments are cramped and there is a housing shortage. I learned that when someone builds a new home that he is required by law to build a three-story structure. The government knows that they probably will not house his family on all three levels, instead, he will rent out one or more floors to others thereby increasing housing possibilities.

Drugs are here. There is criminal activity although it is safe to walk on the streets day or night. Teenagers have mobile phones and most of them have music loaded onto their phones. If one is walking alone he is probably listening to one of his songs on his cell phone. They are into text messages ... all the time! Many of these teens have incredible pressures from drugs, from the internet and peer pressure to name a few.


I could say more about what I observed, but, after speaking almost one week there and trying to visit teenagers and families, I can tell you that the work of the church planters is HARD! It is not impossible, but, it is hard. A good work ethic is necessary. Optimism is very important. But, more important that an optimistic outlook is having faith in God. Let me re-phrase this, they have to have a big faith. Persistence is vital. Faith carries them through rejection and persecution.

I really admire church planters. I visited with a third church planter while I was there. He is doing a good work for God. All of these people are working hard. In fact, there is a fledgling new work being started in Kotor. I saw him for a few minutes and I encouraged him. I told him that I will pray for him as he starts the work there. His face lit up! He needs encouragement as he starts. He will face many difficulties. But, he is moving forward. My!

Love these church planters!! I hope that you do too!

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home