Sunday, December 20, 2009

Praying in Public

It's my custom to pray before I eat a meal. I give thanks to God for the food. I do this in my home and I do this wherever I am.

Bowing my head and saying a prayer, silently or audibly, in a public place such as a restaurant usually generates various reactions. The deer-in-the-headlights stare, for example.

One time, a couple of people looked me with contempt. I looked back nodding my head and smiled. I felt sorry for the heathen people. Do they hate God or what? God still loves them despite their contempt.

On Thanksgiving Day, Lynne and I took my mother to a restaurant. We ordered a take-out meal for my father who remained at home. Naturally, I bowed my head to pray before we ate. I was stunned when a man rushed to our table to thank us for taking time to give thanks to God. He was very happy. What a difference from the other reaction that I mentioned!

I attended a conference recently where I was receiving some special training. I think that it is important to learn, to improve and to better myself. This was not a "Christian" conference, but, I found several Christians who were in attendance. Anyway, I was sharing a table with seven others at a banquet. When the waiter placed my plate of food in front of me I bowed my head and said a silent prayer to God. The person next to me noticed and she put her hand on top of my hand while bowing her head. When I finished, she whispered, "Thanks for doing this!"

So, I continue to pray before my meals whether I am alone or with my wife or in a restaurant. This has been my custom since I was 15 ...

Eric

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you feel sorry for non-christians? your sorrow is founded in self-rightousness...i heard your wife tell of a story where a village woman tried to spit on you, but spat on her daughter instead-oh how your wife laughed at her...you give all christians a bad name

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home