Friday, March 20, 2009

My Mentor Taught Me ...

"Accept a person for who he is and see him for who he can become."

Actually, my mentor told me this three times. I paid attention the first time. The second time really got my attention. The third time I was giving him some examples and he was smiling.

Jack Wyrtzen, now in Heaven, was my mentor in the 80s and early 90s. I was able to spend about one month each year for eight years. That was a treat!

The first time that Jack shared this principle with me was when we were riding in my cramped Honda Civic [they were smaller back then]. He was telling me about someone, suddenly, he nudged me with his elbow and said, "Eric, always accept a person for who he is and see him for who he can become. He went on to explain that we take people as they are right now with all of their imperfections. This is what we have to work with. Then, we look for their potential and guide them to fulfill their potential. I liked what he said from the get go. Yes!

We all have great potential. However, not all of us realize this potential. But, there is a second chance. God is gracious to provide second chances.

Lastly, let's think about using this great principle in the lives of others. First, acceptance ... in their present condition or maturiy level. Next, look for their potential and guide them in this direction with phrases such as, "You have a lot of potential ... I can see you doing this or that."

They probably will express their disbelief or shock. Be genuine and share what you see in them. Continue to encourage them often and watch their progress. It works!

I know, Jack did it for me!

Eric

1 Comments:

Blogger kékpék said...

I like it! Thank You! p

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home