Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cost of Fuel in Hungary

Today my wife and I made a quick run to the grocery store to pick up some items for breakfast tomorrow, some light bulbs, etc. On the way out from the store I stopped at their "discount" service station. Note the word "discount". It may cost a penny less there, for example. Well, my tank had just slightly over 1/4 of a tank when I stopped to fill up. I noticed a higher amount for diesel, about 30 forints more per liter than in early October. Yes, 30 forints more. 14,360 forints later . . . I have a full tank of about 65 liters of diesel fuel. Friends, Romans and Countrymen, I just paid $87.03 for my fuel!! Yes, you remember reading that I had slightly more than 1/4 of a tank when I started. I bought 48.53 liters. My tank holds 65 liters.

While I was standing there filling up the tank I was doing some math in my mind. I rounded off the cost per liter at $1.80. At home with a calculator I came up with $1.78. The forint to the dollar is 165 forints equals $1. You may see 170 right now, but there are fees to pay and the reality is about 165. So, 1 gallon equals 3.785 liters. Therefore, at the present time the cost of fuel in Hungary is $6.74 rounding off $6.7373737373 . . . [ad nauseum, quite frankly, a lot of nauseum]

In September [175 forints to $1] we were paying 265 forints per liter . . . which was already a whopping $5.72 a gallon.

Anyway, our fuel costs coupled with a weaker dollar has us paying $1.02 more per gallon [$5.72 jumping up to $6.74 per gallon] since September 30, 2007!

Now, what will it cost to fill the tank up at one time? 65 liters X $1.78 = $115.70 . . . that would take a Ben Franklin and an Andrew Jackson [almost]. There would not be even one Abe Lincoln left in change, only 4 George Washingtons.

I thought I would post this on my blog . . . somehow, this helps me.


Eric

2 Comments:

Blogger Hosszu said...

Hey Eric... I know what you mean when you say "I thought this would help somehow..."

hehe... I do the same math with the price of train tickets... boy they add up!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Angie Bartos said...

Feeling your pain. :-)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home