Monday, September 13, 2010

Camp Monty in Montenegro

One of the things that I do is put smiles on young faces. I love it! I started a unique youth camp in Montenegro [used to be part of old Yugoslavia] in 2007. My life was threatened the night before it opened, but, the situation improved each day. By the end of Camp Monty in 2009, parents were lined up to thank me for coming to their country and that their teens love the camp. Isn't that cool? God made this happen ... not me.

2010 was similar in that one mother thanked me for organizing Camp Monty each summer and that her son LOVES the camp. She even told me that she loves me and loves Camp Monty. Why? She sees that it does so much good for her son. Keep in mind that she told me this while waiting for the police to interview her son after his bike and a car were involved in a wreck. It happened the night after we had "all the watermelon you can eat" event after the evening meeting. Can you imagine that she would say something like this when so distraught about her son who received the worst end of the collision? I think she was glad that I came to check on her son and was trying to encourage him. He went airborne over the car landing on his cheekbone and temple ... ouch!

While I was talking with him, the 14 year old told me how much he enjoys the camp and how much he loves me and all of the camp staff. Incredible!

He is quite the "personality" in camp and he was greatly missed on the final two days of camp as he followed doctor's orders to stay in bed.

His mother attended the awards banquet two days after the accident despite her son not being able to come. I read a letter that he had written to thank everyone for Camp Monty 2010. Yes, she had some tears.

He's OK now and he can't wait for Camp Monty 2011.

You know what? Same with me--can't wait!!

Eric Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home