Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lifestyle Changes

My father died from cancer. He won the first battle with prostate cancer in 2000-01. Bone cancer and lymphoma won the final battle in 2010. The last 10 years of his life were years of suffering because of cancer. Hard to watch ... I am sure that it was more difficult to endure.

My phone calls to my father in late May and in June were not easy. I could tell that his strength was waning. Finally, there was one phone conversation with my father telling me that he knew that he would not be alive when I was planning to visit him on his next birthday. He struggled to tell me this. Deep inside of myself, I knew that the end was near.

Cancer is a terrible disease. I had been reading various articles and books trying to find natural methods to fight cancer and I shared this information with my father. He decided to proceed with chemotherapy, not natural methods such as nutrition. I respected my father's decision and chose not to argue with him. He had the information and he made his decision. But, it made me do some deep soul searching.

I am not going to have chemo! No way! Did you know that 85% of oncologists report that they will not have chemotherapy if they have cancer? Hm-m-m!

Lifestyle changes ... I changed my routine. Earlier, about 11 years ago I stopped sugar. Good decision! Five years ago I stopped all soft drinks--cokes, et al. Three years ago I stopped using all sweeteners--the pink, the blue, the yellow, etc. Good decisions. Well, in June I made some more changes such as adding raw foods to my diet.

No, I am not a vegan or vegetarian. I simply increased raw food in my diet. Also, I accepted the fact that my metabolism does not process wheat products well. White potatoes is another culprit for me. Cream and milk ... I used to "love" this in my tea. All of these things made me gain weight! So, I stopped the "whites" and added raw foods. Bingo! I started losing weight!

Exercise is a great cancer fighter along with raw foods. Sit-ups and push-ups ... walking ... some Tae-Bo for cardio ... helped me to lose weight. More importantly, this is my plan to fight cancer! The extra benefit is the loss of weight ... now 25 pounds. And, I added 3 or 4 pounds of muscle because of the physical exercise.

Tell you what ... I'll update you in a few months to tell you about my progress. Check back.

Eric Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home