Friday, September 17, 2010

My Friend Iulian

Iulian Avramescu is from Bucharest, Romania. I have a lot of young friends from Bucharest having met them when they attended our Bible School that we started back in 1994. Romanians are full of life. Actually, I could write about several of them and I might do so in the future. Right now, I want to tell you about Iulian.

Jack Wyrtzen, one of my mentors, taught me to "accept a person for who he is and see him for who he can become." Potential! Iulian has vast potential. In fact, he is beginning to realize his potential now.

Iulian and his sidekick, Marius Laciu, just left our home today to return to Romania. Yesterday, we met with one of his board members who is in Budapest connecting with Campus Crusade. We talked about a camp site near Arad, Romania where Iulian has led youth camps the last two summers. This board member, Phil Blackstone, from Dallas, Texas, was excited to hear about this possibility. Maybe we can lease this property so that Iulian can expand his summer youth camps.

Last night, we held a conference phone call with the owners along with two other board members who live in Dallas. It was a good discussion. No decision yet--it will take more negotiation, more talks and more prayer. At this point we do not know what the outcome will be, but, I hope it works out.

Why? A young man brimming with potential needs a place to realize his potential. This would be a good spot to do just that. I've been there three times and I get excited about this property and buildings each time I go there. Man, oh man!

Who are you connecting with to invest your time in them? Do you see potential in a person younger than you? Are you helping him or her develop their potential? Do it! Look around ... you might be surprised what you will find. Your time will be well spent.

I knew that Iulian would need some fuel in his tank, so, I asked him to follow me to the gas station. After giving him a little bit of money to buy something to eat on his return trip I gave him a big hug. I hugged Marius, too. I encouraged Marius to stick with Iulian as his assistant and to build the team. As I watched them drive away I found myself smiling and thinking, "This is money well spent, a good investment." My time with these guys was even a better investment ... listening, talking, counseling, encouraging, "seeing" the future and showing what could be done ... potential.

Potential!

Eric Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home